Call us 020 7720 5350

Quinta da Romaneira Douro Red

Douro

Awards

  • Gold - Sommelier Wine Awards 2012

Quinta da Romaneira

Quinta da Romaneira was bought in 2004 by a group of friends including Christian Seely, who is known for his experience running the renowned Quinta do Noval...

Since arriving in the Douro in the 1990s, it had been Christian‘s dream to own Quinta da Romaneira and restore the property to its former glory. The estate is situated in the Cima Corgo district, in the heart of the Douro Valley. The superb location, along two kilometres of the Douro River, provides ideal conditions for the production of high quality wines, both dry and fortified, from local varieties. All the vineyards for the reds are classified ‘A’ Grade; aromatic white varieties are grown at high altitude for Romaneira’s delicious dry white wine.

View producer page

Vineyards

There are 85 hectares of vineyard which have been replanted with the principal aim of producing dry wines and a small range of ports. The vineyards are planted mainly with noble Douro varieties and all 80 hectares of red grapes are planted on “A” grade Douro Schist terraces. Yields are typically very low, ranging from 20–25 hectolitres per hectare.

Vintage information

In 2007/08 a rainfall of 146mm below average was recorded, with particularly dry conditions over winter. Temperatures were cooler than many years, which had a very positive effect on the vines in this hot region; they retained their leaves very well which helped to ripen the berries more evenly, although yield was lowered due to cooler temperatures at flowering. The veraison occurred in the first half of July and maturation started mid-August, 8-15 days later than 2007. The harvest started on 12th September. The musts obtained were full of colour, very dense and aromatic, with good sugar levels, acidity and low pH.

Vinification

After pressing, the must was fermented in stainless steel vats with temperature control at 25-28°C. Extraction was by remontage and delestage, with maceration periods varying from one lot to another, but lasting between 10 and 20 days. The wine was then aged in 100% French oak barrels, of which 25% were new and the remaining 75% one year old.

Tasting Notes

Deep purple in colour with ruby tints. Fresh perfumes of cassis and ripe blackberry fruit abound on the nose along with some elegant floral notes. Well balanced on the palate with good structure, ripe, rounded tannins and balancing acidity. Smoky, spicy touches come through on the long, complex finish.

Vintage information

Vintage 2008
Grape varieties 60% Touriga Nacional
40% Touriga Franca
Region Douro
Winemaker António Agrellos
Alcohol (ABV) 13.5%
Acidity 4.92g/l
Residual Sugar 2g/l
Wine pH 3.71