Call us 020 7720 5350

Casale Vecchio Pecorino IGT Terre di Chieti



The Farnese group owns Gran Sasso, Vesevo, Vigneti Zabu, Vigneti del Salento, Vigneti del Vulture and Tufarello, among others, but this is their flagship winery...

The vineyards are based in the northern part of the Abruzzo,  where ripeness and freshness combine in the wines.  Alberto Antonini oversees production, ensuring these wines offer great quality, varietal character and value. 

View producer page


Pecorino is a fairly rare variety, with only about 300 hectares planted in the Abruzzo and Le Marche regions. Its name derives from the fact that a bunch of Pecorino grapes was traditionally considered to have a similar shape to a sheep`s head.  The vineyards are situated around the town of Ortona, on the Adriatic coast of the Abruzzo region.  Facing west and south west, vines are planted on calcareous clay soils of a medium texture and trained on a pergola system.

Vintage information

In general, rain, or the lack of it, was a crucial factor in the 2013 vintage. Cool, wet conditions in the spring set up a challenging growing season. Drought-like conditions then caused a further challenge in the summer, but fortunately, autumn was wonderful, allowing for a great harvest, which took place in early September. The whites from this vintage are excellent with moderate sugar levels and good acidity.


Once the grapes are received at the winery, they are gently crushed and destemmed.  The grapes are then left in contact with the skins for about 12 hours at approximately 3°C.  Fermentation takes place at a cool temperature of 12°C in order to preserve the character of the fruit.  80% of the juice is fermented in stainless steel tanks, the other 20% in 225 litre French oak barriques.

Tasting Notes

Lively straw yellow in color with verdant hues.  This Pecorino displays delightful balsamic notes and aromas of fresh apples and pears on the nose.  On the palate, it shows excellent intensity and concentration, with a round, full body. It is a wonderfully balanced wine, with both a soft texture and vibrant freshness on the finish.

Vintage information

Vintage 2013
Grape varieties 100% Pecorino
Region Abruzzo
Winemaker Filippo Baccalaro
Consultant Winemaker Rino Santeusanio
Alcohol (ABV) 13%
Acidity 6.6g/l
Residual Sugar 3g/l
Wine pH 3.3