Montes was established in 1988 by Aurelio Montes, Douglas Murray, Alfredo Vidaurre and Pedro Grand, with the aim to produce the best wines in Chile from the best regions...
We have long admired Montes and what they have done for Chilean wine over the past 25 years. Their wines are consistently good because they are meticulous throughout the entire production process. Montes own 800 hectares of vineyards in Aplata and Marchigue located in Colchaugua Valley as well a single vineyard Zapallar, located in coastal Aconcagua Valley. Their own vineyards cover 75% of their requirements. The other 25% of fruit is produced on vineyards they have planted, cultivated and picked. In other words, they control everything except the ownership of the land. In addition to this control over the vineyard, they also sell in bulk what is not good enough to go into the bottles that carry their label. The results are there for you to taste.
The fact that the ‘Classic Series’ is Montes’ entry point says a lot about this estate. The wines are all from from different regions that make the best example of the specific variety.
The Chardonnay grapes come from the Curico Valley. Curico‘s mediterranean climate is a result of the vines being shielded from the Pacific Ocean by the Coastal Range. Chardonnay from Curico is riper in comparison to the cooler climate regions in Chile, but is still able to retain freshness due to a cool nights. All grapes were hand harvested.
A portion of the grapes were put into tank and cold soaked at 10°c for four hours to enhance the aromatics. The remainder of the grapes are gently crushed, settled and then fermented in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks for 15-17 days. 15% of the blend underwent malolactic fermentation to give richness to the wine and 35% of the blend is aged in French oak barrels (25% new, the rest second fill) for eight months.
Aromas of green apple, pineapple and hints of vanilla are balanced with lively acidity and a rounded fruity finish.
|Winemaker||Aurelio Montes Baseden|
Liberty Wines customers can order this wine directly from us.