Organic Estate Riesling

Bechtheim

Dreissigacker

Jochen Dreissigacker has caused a considerable stir both in his native Germany and...

abroad, winning high praise and points wherever his wines are sold. His 21 hectares of vineyards are based in the Rheinhessen, which is currently undergoing what might be termed a 'Rheinhessen revival', with Jochen at its forefront. From the 2010 vintage, Jochen's wines all have organic certification and he also uses biodynamic methods for much of his estate (although he has chosen not to be certified). He reduced the yields in the vineyard to gain better concentration of flavour in the grapes and identified the best parcels of vines which he vinifies separately. As expected of an organic estate, his approach in the cellar is as natural as possible.He uses only wild yeasts to ferment the must and harvests only fully ripe grapes (rather than chaptalising, or adding 'süss-reserve' to sweeten the wines after vinification for the Auslese styles).

View producer page

Vineyards

Jochen's approach in the winery is simple: to intervene as little as possible. Low yields and careful selection in the vineyard ensures excellent fruit. The estate has 21 hectares under vine, 55% of which are Riesling. Soils are a mix of loess and marl.

Vintage Information

A very cool spring led to a mild summer in Bechtheim. Following heavy rainfall throughout September, the grapes had a higher acidity than those from 2012. Picking began in mid-October with the Riesling displaying brilliant citrus notes and promising great power and density.

Vinification

The grapes were harvested by hand and the yield was 48 hectolitres per hectare. Maceration lasted up to 18 hours. 90% of the juice underwent spontaneous fermentation with wild yeasts in stainless steel tanks for 4 weeks at 16-18°C, with the other 10% in barrel. No chaptalisation took place and no 'süss-reserve' was added.

Tasting Notes

Light in colour with green reflexes. Fruity and elegant with plenty of citrus fruit on the nose, perfectly reflecting the 2013 vintage. The palate is refined and very well balanced with aromas of yellow fruits on the long finish.

Vintage Information

Vintage 2013
Grape varieties 100% Riesling
Region Bechtheim, Rheinhessen
Winemaker Jochen Dreissigacker
Alcohol (ABV) 12%
Acidity 7.2g/l
Residual Sugar 3.5g/l