Russian River Chardonnay

Sonoma County

Journeyman

We worked with Pete Seghesio for well over a decade before he sold...

the family winery several years ago. As he made great wines at Seghesio, and was one of the nicest people we've worked with, we were delighted to hear that he was making small quantities of a Chardonnay, so got in touch and tasted the wine. It is, as one might expect of Pete, a superb wine, made from fruit from growers who he got to know during his many years crisscrossing California in search of the best grapes. The wines are made at the winery Pete and his wife Cathy have built below their house on the San Lorenzo vineyard, which is where his great-grandfather began making wine in 1896.

View producer page

Vineyards

Journeyman Chardonnays have the mineral vibrancy of white Burgundy while retaining the layers of texture and opulence that has defined the Russian River AVA. The minerality of the blend comes from choice Dijon selections of cold climate vineyards, including 29% from the Zio Tony vineyard located on the Goldridge Bench block and 28% from the Three Sisters vineyard on the Bohan Dillion Ridge. The opulence comes from heritage selections, with 17% of Hudson Clone Chardonnay from the Lucky Well vineyard, 17% of Old Wente Clone from the Ritchie Vineyard Road and 9% of Rued Clone from the Old Rues Vineyard.

Vintage Information

With the ideal ripening conditions that occurred during September 2013, it allowed for maximum flavour development without the threat of rain.

Vinification

The grapes were picked cool, between the hours of 3 and 6am. The grapes were sorted as they it went in to the press as whole clusters were pressed at low pressure to minimise extracting bitter phenolics. 30% of the juice was put into a concrete egg and the remaining 70% into French oak barrels, of which 90% were new. Primary fermentation occurred with natural yeasts and lasted for two months. Malolactic fermentation was completed in the spring, allowing for gentle lees stirring which added complexity. The wine was assembled and allowed to settle for three months in tanks before bottling, unfined and unfiltered on the 10th December.

Tasting Notes

A wine of structured richness with nuances of red apple, pear, stone fruit, wet limestone and honeysuckle, with layered sweetness from refined oak components.

Vintage Information

Vintage 2013
Grape varieties 100% Chardonnay
Region Sonoma County, California
Winemaker Pete Seghesio
Alcohol (ABV) 14.5%