Marlborough, marlborough New Zealand

Alana McGettigan has been working with Matt Thomson in Italy, France and New Zealand since 2005, so we know how good a winemaker she is. When she mentioned that she had made her own wine from grapes grown on her aunt and uncle’s vineyard, we were keen to taste it. As expected, the wine is stunning.

Alana’s aunt and uncle have been growing small parcels of quality Gewürztraminer for several years. The 15 to 20-year-old vines are planted on a plain next to the Opawa river where the soil is reasonably heavy, with some clay deposits. Gewürztraminer is a fickle grape and each year the team works hard to control the yield to achieve the right balance between flavour and sugar ripeness. The fruit was de-stemmed upon arrival at the winery and held cold in the press for six hours in order to extract delicate phenolics from the skins, to add texture and complexity. The fruit was then pressed, and the free-run juice and pressings were separated. 90% of the wine was fermented with selected yeasts in stainless steel tanks and the remaining 10% was fermented ‘wild’ in aged barrels to add complexity to the blend.

The wine has aromatic intensity, yet wonderful balance. With aromas of Turkish delight and crystallised ginger, it is more restrained than many a blowsy Gewürztraminer. On the palate, the wine has good weight and balance and is dry, which adds to the length and complexity, making it a great food wine.


  • "2Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum."




We use cookies to help us improve your experience on our website and to store your preferences. You can disable or delete cookies via your browser settings.
For more information on how we use cookies, please refer to our privacy policy.