Via Caritatis

Southern Rhône, southern rhone France

Located in the foothills of Mount Ventoux in the Southern Rhône, Via Caritatis, meaning “way of charity” in Latin, is a unique collaboration. United by a wish to revive their region’s winemaking history and support local winemakers, the monks of the Abbey of Sainte-Madeleine du Barroux and the local co-operative, Beaumont de Ventoux, joined forces in 2015 to create a range of wines from their combined 30 hectares. The quality of the grapes and the impressive community partnership attracted the attention of one of the Rhône’s most accomplished consultant oenologists, Philippe Cambie, who has since become closely involved. 

The Abbey of Sainte-Madeleine du Barroux is one of four monastic communities who have chosen winemaking as their main manual labour. The 10 hectares of vineyards surrounding the Abbey include the first papal vineyard in France created in 1309, even before Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Situated at an altitude of 320 to 380 metres in the foothills of Mount Ventoux and tempered by the Mistral wind, the vines benefit from warm days and cool nights and are cultivated organically. The location means work in the vineyards is very labour intensive, as everything has to be done by hand. Under the guidance of Philippe, the monks have chosen plots which express the freshness of this microclimate and the diversity of the soils.

The ‘Vox Domini’ Blanc is a blend of 90% Clairette, 5% Roussanne and 5% Grenache Blanc, fermented in concrete at a low temperature and aged on fine lees for six months, which adds a lovely rich texture to the finished wine. The ‘Vox Domini’ Rosé is a blend of 90% Grenache and 10% Syrah. It is pale in colour and has a refreshing lift of acidity with aromas of wild strawberry and white blossom. Deep garnet red in colour, the ‘Vox Caritatis’ Rouge is a blend of 90% Grenache, 5% Syrah and 5% Carignan. It undergoes a 25 day maceration before fermentation and is then aged in concrete for nine months. The finished wine is expressive with ripe raspberry and blackberry fruit, balanced by supple tannins and layers of spice and liquorice on the finish.

The ‘Lux In Domino’ Rouge, a blend of 58% Grenache and 42% Syrah from the best plots, showcases the true potential of the Ventoux. The Grenache comes from old vines and contributes intense fruit and power to the blend. The Syrah, sourced from the Abbey’s Clos des Sœurs and the terraced vineyards of the co-operative, has a wonderful depth of black fruit and pronounced fragrance. 80% of the wine is aged in concrete vats for 18 months, the other 20% is aged for 24 months in new 500 litre oak barrels which results in a generous palate, rich with fruit and underpinned by fine-grained tannins.

 

  • "2Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum."

 

Wines

Cookies

We use cookies to help us improve your experience on our website and to store your preferences. You can disable or delete cookies via your browser settings.
For more information on how we use cookies, please refer to our privacy policy.