This wine is intense ruby red in colour with youthful highlights. On the nose, there are notes of almonds, violets and oranges which are intertwined with aromas of coffee and vanilla. It is a full-bodied wine with well-balanced acidity. The rounded tannins from the Sangiovese are lifted by the cassis concentration of the Cabernet on the long, concentrated finish.
- Feature(s): Vegetarian;Vegan;Certified Organic
- Alcohol (ABV): 14 %
- Acidity: 5.50 g/l
- Residual sugar: 0.36 g/l
Grapes are grown on the estate's 104 hectares of vineyard which have been converted to organic production. Vines are situated at approximately 150-200 metres above sea level, facing south, south-east and south-west. Soils are schistous clay with limestone.
The 2016 vintage was characterised by a very mild winter with regular spells of rain until early June allowing for important underground water reserves to build up. Conditions through the growing season were good, with a large crop of healthy grapes flourishing during the dry, sunny and warm summer days that were balanced by cool evenings. Although heavy rainfall (80ml over three days) arrived on the 15th September, overall this vintage is characterised by the large diurnal temperature variation during summer which has given the 2016 vintage an aromatic note more defined than in previous years.
Fermentation took place in stainless steel tanks for 20 days at temperatures between 26-28°C. At the end of the alcoholic fermentation the wine was moved into French oak for malolactic fermentation. 70% of the wine was aged in 3.5 hectolitre tonneaux for 12 months and the remaining 30% in larger barrels for 16 months. The wine was then blended and bottled before a further 12 months ageing prior to release.
The Capezzana estate, 24 kilometres north west of Florence, is owned by the Contini Bonacossi family. The younger generation is now firmly in charge of the estate's 80 hectares of vineyard, with daughter Benedetta Contini Bonacossi as winemaker and Francesco Bernabei as consultant winemaker. The wines and the olive oil have an elegance which marks this estate out from the crowd.