This Cabernet Franc has a deep, dark red colour. On the nose, it has robust aromas of black fruit and vanilla. The wine is refreshing with bright acidity and subtle, round tannins, with blackcurrant and spice on the finish.
- Winemaker: Gilles Feray
- Alcohol (ABV): 13.5 %
- Residual sugar: 0.5 g/l
- Case barcode: 3760078216273
- Bottle barcode: 3760078217041
The property comprises of 30 hectares of vines, situated on the left bank of the river Vienne. The grapes grow on varied soils in the Chinon appellation, and thrive depending on the type of vintage. In dry and hot years, the vines are best suited to clay, limestone soils and in the wetter and cooler years they grow better on sandy soils. The Cabernet Franc used to make the Chinon is sourced from 14 hectares of vines grown in the finest vineyards in the Chinon appellation.
After a hard frost in April, which had a great impact across the Loire Valley, the end of spring and summer was relatively clement, allowing the grapes to reach optimum maturity. The harvest itself was early, starting from 1st September. Although the difficult conditions resulted in a small harvest, the small size of the grapes resulted in excellent concentration and very high quality.
The grapes were destemmed and placed into stainless-steel tanks where they underwent a cold (10°C) pre-fermentation maceration for up to five days, this increased the extraction of aromas and soft tannins. Temperatures during the alcoholic fermentation did not exceed 22°C. The wine was run off and then underwent malolactic fermentation. Following racking, 10% of the wine was aged for 12 months in oak barrels.
The impressive Château Coudray-Montpensier, located in Chinon, has a rich history that dates to the heart of the Middle Ages (1090 AD). The castle was built during the 14th century and was owned by a succession of nobility. In 1492, during the Hundred Years’ War, Joan of Arc stayed in the castle’s tower. She was waiting for an audience with King Charles VII of France to organise an attack against the English to relieve the French troops at the siege of Orléans. After various owners during the 19th and 20th centuries, the property was eventually acquired by Dr. Christian Feray in 2005, who undertook major restorations to transform it into a cultural and gastronomic landmark.