A clear, pale lemon wine. Spicy and fresh, with a lovely minerality on the nose. The very dry 2014 Riesling shows well integrated acidity and finishes with mouthwatering grapefruit flavours.
- Feature(s): Vegetarian;Vegan;Sustainable;Certified Organic
- Alcohol (ABV): 12 %
- Acidity: 7.90 g/l
- Residual sugar: 4.10 g/l
Jochen's approach in the winery is simple: to intervene as little as possible. Low yields and careful selection in the vineyard ensures excellent fruit. The estate has 21 hectares under vine, 55% of which are Riesling. Soils are a mix of loess and marl.
Due to warm, damp weather, vintage 2014 was a challenging one. Bud break started in early April during a warm, dry start to spring. The flowering period was slightly earlier than average, with great weather providing a good fruit set. An overabundance of rain in July and August (three times the normal amount in some areas) resulted in prolific growth in the vineyards, requiring a lot of canopy management. Despite all the wet weather, the grapes stayed healthy with good must weights. A perfect start to September took an unexpected turn right before harvest, and rain forced the picking to be done very quickly, with most fruit at the winery by the end of the first week of October. Quantity was on par with the ten-year average, and quality was very good thanks to attention to detail and hard work in the vineyards.
The grapes were harvested by hand and the yield was 48 hectolitres per hectare. Maceration lasted up to 18 hours. 90% of the juice underwent spontaneous fermentation with wild yeasts in stainless steel tanks for four weeks at 16-18°C, with the other 10% in barrel. No chaptalisation took place and no 'süss-reserve' was added.
Jochen Dreissigacker has caused a considerable stir both in his native Germany and abroad, winning high praise and points wherever his wines are sold. His 45 hectares of vineyards are based in the Rheinhessen, which is currently undergoing what might be termed a 'Rheinhessen revival', with Jochen at its forefront. From the 2010 vintage, Jochen's wines all have organic certification and he also uses biodynamic methods for much of his estate (although he has chosen not to be certified). As expected of an organic estate, his approach in the cellar is as natural as possible. He uses only wild yeasts to ferment the must and harvests only fully ripe grapes (rather than chaptalising, or adding 'süss-reserve' to sweeten the wines after vinification for the Auslese styles).