A ruby-red colour of medium intensity, this wine has a delicate and elegant aroma. Its very complex bouquet balances floral notes, hints of raspberries and undertones of black fruit with earthy aromas of pine, forest-floor and mushrooms. On the palate, this wine is smooth and elegant and reveals a very well-balanced freshness.
- Feature(s): Vegetarian, Sustainable
- Alcohol (ABV): 14 %
- Acidity: 5.5 g/l
- Residual sugar: 0.5 g/l
- pH: 3.6
- Case barcode: 55601078005326
- Bottle barcode: 5601078005321
This 105 hectare property, which today has 50 hectares under vine, was purchased by the Guedes family in 1988. The vineyards were planted on poor granite soils with indigenous Dão varieties (Touriga Nacional, Tinta Roriz, Alfrocheiro, Jaen and Tinta Pinheira for reds and Encruzado, Assario, Verdelho, Bical and Cerceal for whites), and the modern winery was built soon afterwards. Today, winemaker Beatriz Cabral de Almeida makes an increasingly impressive range of wines from estate vineyards, which are situated at an altitude of 465-500 metres above sea level.
The start of the harvest year was very rainy, although winter itself was generally cold and dry. Spring was drier than in previous years, with occasional rain replenishing the water levels in the soil. An arid summer followed, with high temperatures during the day and cold nights. These ideal conditions promoted balanced ripening with little incidence of disease. The harvest itself was conducted a week earlier than in 2014, and produced wines of a very high standard.
The Alfrocheiro fruit was sourced from three different vineyards and harvested and vinified separately. Fruit was sorted in 20kg batches and destemmed and gently crushed before being going through a period of cold maceration for three days. The must was then transferred into small temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks for fermentation. This lasted for approximately 10 days at an average temperature of 26°C. 94% of the final blend was matured for 9 months in used French oak barrels, with the remaining 6% stored in stainless steel. The wine underwent fining and filtration prior to bottling.
Quinta dos Carvalhais is a beautiful property in Mangualde commune in the Dão. Purchased and invested in by the Guedes family, the estate combines the most up-to-date techniques with extensive experience of traditional winemaking practices, creating wines with elegance and personality. In addition to investing in their own vineyards, Quinta dos Carvalhais has also been instrumental in defending the interests and living conditions of many local small winegrowers who sell their grapes.