Pouilly-Fuissé 'La Croix' 2015 boasts aromas of ripe, white peach, baked apple and hints of toast and vanilla on the nose. The palate has a lovely, rich and silky texture, which is well balanced with bright acidity.
- Feature(s): Sustainable, Vegetarian
- Winemaker: Jean-Jacques Robert, Nicolas Robert and Antoine Robert
- Alcohol (ABV): 14 %
- Case barcode: No
- Bottle barcode: No
The grapes for the Pouilly-Fuissé 'La Croix' are sourced from four hectares of vines planted in the village of Fuissé. On average the vines are 50 years old, which results in naturally reduced yields and beautifully concentrated flavours in the grapes. The vines grow on silt and schist soil, which is typical to this region,
2015 was a very warm vintage across Burgundy. Winter was unusually mild and little rain fell in the Mâconnais. Temperatures were consistently higher than average throughout the growing season, and the challenge for producers was to ensure that they picked early enough to retain fresh acidity in order to balance the full, ripe fruit. Domaine Robert-Denogent managed this brilliantly, picking the grapes at optimum ripeness, resulting in full-bodied wines which still showcase beautiful, delicate finesse.
All grapes were hand harvested. Once they arrived at the winery, they were pressed directly into 228 litre French oak barrels for fermentation and malolactic fermentation. Being one of the Domaine’s top wines, ‘La Croix’ was aged for 30 months in oak, 15% of which was new and the remaining 85% was aged in one to two year old barrels without bâtonnage. Wines spent two winters in oak, a treatment more common in the Côte d’Or, is something that really sets Domaine Robert-Denogent apart in the Mâconnais.
Claude Denogent inherited his father’s vines in 1922. He and his wife later bought a property nestled between the communes of Fuissé and Solutré-Pouilly, which is where the domaine is located today. In 1971, Claude’s daughter Andrée and her husband Robert took over the property, while today it is their son, Jean-Jacques, and his son Nicolas, who run the domaine. Often compared to the finest whites of the Côte de Beaune, the wines of Robert-Denogent offer fantastic value, wonderful richness, and impressive complexity.